Powered By Blogger

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Homemade glass cleaner...that works!


3/27/2012 Please Note: check out my recent post on another glass cleaner that works even better... http://cohippychik.blogspot.com/2012/04/kick-ass-glass-cleaner.html The recipe in this post does work well but I just wanted to make sure you knew about this other one that I like even more.  :)

There are so many homemade glass cleaner recipes on the internet. I have tried so many of them that I have lost count.. including the green ones with club soda and vinegar.  I would prefer to be green and most of my homemade cleaners are. However, I am a stickler for clean mirrors and windows, and being green for this recipe wasn't cutting it.  The cornstarch recipe out there was not working out for me at all. That was my worst experience. It actually made a white caky mess on my mirrors that took me 3 cleaning attempts to get it off.  This cornstarch recipe was the last one I tried and I was really hoping it would work, but to my husband it was a disaster, but a humorous one.  My husband thought I was crazy trying all these recipes and told me to give up after the cornstarch incident. So, after much research and trial and error here is the glass cleaner recipe I came up with. Well guess what?  It works and my frustration is over. If you try it out,  I would love to hear what you think. For some of you the cornstarch or other methods may work.  I just hope you don't have to go through the same disaster I did.   

J's glass cleaner
  2 Cups of Water 
  2 Tbsp of Ammonia
  4 Tbsp of Rubbing Alcohol
  1 squirt of Dish Soap (I use the blue Dawn)
  3-4 drops of Dr. Bronner's liquid castile soap (optional)
  10-15 drops of Peppermint essential oil (optional, for fragrance)
  1-2 drops of blue food coloring (optional, just for kicks)

Combine all ingredients, shake and your ready to clean glass.

On a side note with glass cleaner the sprayer you use makes a big difference.  The one I use is from an old  Febreze bottle and which gives the spray the perfect spread.  Kind of like a heavy mist. I also use microfiber cloths, which are the bomb.
   

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I am going to have to try this! I will let you know how it turns out. Have you tried making your own laundry detergent yet? Great post, thanks for recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amanda, I hope you are feeling better. :) Check out my newest post on the glass cleaner recipe. It works even better. Yes I am experimenting with laundry detergent recipes. Such fun.. Maybe I will post on that too. Take Care!

      Delete