Powered By Blogger

Monday, May 14, 2012

Laundry Detergent

Over the last month I have come to the conclusion that I LOVE Sal Suds!  So, with all the plans that I had, my 32 oz bottle was not cutting it.  I needed more because I tried it as laundry detergent and I was lovin'  the results. Here is the link to Sal Suds laundry detergent I started with. It is quite good and inspired me.  When I tried this recipe, I was loving that when I added this detergent to the running water in the wash there were BUBBLES....but as I continued to use it as the weeks went by, I really wanted more sudsiness.  My favorite part is there is no grating soap in this recipe.  Also, this recipe no ugly gloppyness I was finding in soap grating recipes...this is a huge plus for me, because you don't have to add water later on to even out the detergent.  I was afraid it wasn't as effective as it was in the beginning.  



Thanks to my local Vitamin Cottage for ordering this gallon jug for me.  I am such a loyal of fan and love visiting this shop.  I could have ordered it online for the same price,  but I love supporting my local Colorado businesses.

Here is the link to Sal Suds laundry detergent I started with. It is quite good and inspired me.  My favorite part about making this recipe is there was no soap grating. I was so happy.  I loved the fresh, clean smell and BUBBLES this recipe provided... but as the weeks went on I realized I wanted more bubbles and a tad bit more cleaning power, so I decided to adapt the recipe. When I tried this recipe, I was loving that when I added this detergent to the running water in the wash there were plenty of bubbles and the results are just lovely.  My favorite part about using Sal Suds in laundry detergent recipes is there no ugly gloppyness I was finding in soap grating recipes...this is a huge plus for me, because you don't have to add water later on to even out the detergent.  I was afraid it wasn't as effective as it was in the beginning.  



So here is the recipe I came up with and I am so loving the results.... pure cleanliness.  My laundry smells so fresh and clean and not perfumey.
No-grate, Kick Ass Laundry Detergent Recipe

1 cup Super Washing Soda
1 cup Borax (optional, but I'm loving the results)
1/3 cup of salt
4 cups of water
2 Tbsp of glycerin (optional)
1 1/2 cups of Sal Suds

Over medium low heat warm up 4 cups of water, washing soda, borax and salt until mostly dissolved. Remove from burner and add glycerin and Sal Suds .  Fill gallon container half way with water, add warmed laundry concoction after letting it slightly cool. Top off gallon container with more water and rotate.  Be careful and add water slowly or else you will end up with too many suds. Before washings you can rotate or gently shake bottle before pouring in wash.  1/4 to 1/2 cup depending on whether wash is small or large.  In between for medium loads.  Also you can use more for extra dirty loads.  I hope you are as amazed as I am.


Once our printer is fixed  I plan on adding a label yet but I plan on doing so by including the ingredients.

Special Note: the glycerin and Borax are optional, because it works okay without it.  I just feel the addition of the two give the detergent some extra cleaning power.  The difference is pretty noticeable to me. 



4 comments:

  1. Looks like a great recipe! I keep meaning to try making my own laundry soap, but it usually looks time consuming... this looks right up my alley!

    Vitamin Cottage is great... I just wish their stores were bigger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you use this in a HE top loader machine?? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a great recipe! Thank you for sharing it. But what purpose does the glycerin serve? I've never seen a homemade laundry detergent recipe with this as one of the ingredients. I'm intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you happen to have a cost per load break down of this?

    ReplyDelete